Skip to content

Digital nomads in Spain

Do you want to come and live in Spain? If you work remotely you can apply for your special visa to get your residency in Spain while working abroad.

Do you want to work from Europe? Can you imagine answering emails overlooking the sea? Did you know that a new visa has been approved for digital nomads in Spain? Foreigners who want to work remotely in Spain can now apply for this new residence permit that has great personal and tax advantages.

In EK Abogados we are specialized in immigration and foreigners, so we will advise you to see what is the best solution according to your case to achieve your dream: to live in Spain.

In Spain we have the “Entrepreneurs Law” of 2013 and the new law in 2023 called “Startups Law” that regulates this new form of teleworking. In it we will find new measures to recover talent and bring new international talent to Spain, being able to telework from anywhere in the world.

This new permit has a double application option:

  • If you are already in Spain legally, for example, as a tourist, you can apply for it directly from here and get a 3-year card.
  • If you are in your country of origin, you can apply to enter Spain and then modify your visa to obtain the 3-year card.

In addition, one of the advantages of this new permit is that you will have a card for 3 consecutive years, being able to renew it without complications and it counts to be able to apply for Spanish nationality and permanent residence.

What do you need for digital nomad residency in Spain?

If you want to apply for your permit as a digital nomad you first need to meet one of these requirements:

  • Working as an employee and that your company allows you to travel and work remotely from Spain.
  • You are self-employed with clients in different countries around the world or sources of income from online activities, but distributed outside Spain.

If you fulfill one of the two options you must comply with the following additional requirements:

  • The company/s you work for must be located outside Spain.
    Income received in Spain or from Spanish companies cannot represent more than 20% of the total.
  • You must demonstrate that you have been working for your company or have had a freelance relationship for your clients for at least 3 months prior to application.
  • Contract with the same company for at least one year.
  • The minimum annual salary must be at least €30,240, which is equivalent to €2,520 per month.
  • Demonstrate 3 years of experience related to your field of work, or be a graduate or postgraduate of prestigious universities, vocational training and business schools of recognized prestige.
  • You cannot have a criminal record, nor be banned from entering Spain. For this you must provide your criminal record certificate, with a minimum validity of 90 days, legalized and apostilled.
  • To contract a private medical insurance, with total coverage in all Spain.

If you are an entrepreneur, you must be working for at least one company outside Spain and have a contract that specifies the possibility of working remotely.

animación EK Abogados

Do you want to start your application?

Contact us and we will start right away to give you all the information you need and process your application, you can get a favorable answer in less than a month!

Yes, we are a Firm that is here for you. No voiceovers, no switchboards, no waiting.